Blog 2: How Privileged Are You?

 


How Privileged Are You? 

Have you ever noticed or compared your own life to others? As rude as it sounds, a lot of people don't realize that others have different lives and on different standings. The Black Lives Matter movement really sparked the controversy regarding "privileged issues." This is usually aimed at white people because of a big chunk of those who are privileged that fall under that race. As a white person myself, I can see where some people are coming from. That is not to say that all white people are privileged though. You don't know everyone's background and where they come from. On the other hand, I strongly believe that "systematic racism" is a thing and is still in place as of right now. This occurs when an employer will hire a white applicant instead of a person of color. Scenarios like that I believe is still being thrown around in the world. BLM really flipped the switch (ironically) on who is being victimized during this time when there are those who shame the white people "for all that we have done." All I can say is our upcoming generation can be so much better than it was way back in history, so why try and "get even" and continue to hate on each other. So throughout the movement I've experienced racism towards me a few times and I never really knew how to feel or what to do and I was just in my own thoughts thinking about how rough it is for those who are racially abused. I will never truly understand what they go through on a daily basis but I stand with them during this time. 

If you want to find out how much privilege you "possess," you can check out BuzzFeed's "how privileged are you" quiz that is usually for fun but it can actually give you an idea of where you stand. You will be asked a great amount of questions to be able to determine the result.

I actually agree with this outcome because I know I possess multiple privileges but at the same time, I'm not some filthy rich millionaire. In a way, I find it kind of insulting and offensive to just see a white person and automatically assume that they got a money tree in their backyard. Yes, it's ironic that I am experiencing the same situations as minorities, and that goes to show that the real problem is you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. 


Take the BuzzFeed quiz here!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/how-privileged-are-you?bfsource=bfocompareon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 10: Key & Peele's Videos Regarding Race

Blog 7: Political Drama

Blog 8: Latinx/Hispanic People in the Media